May 8, 2013
ND Women Connect Wine Tasting Kickoff
If you've been hearing about all the great NDWC activities happening in other cities and hoping to join in the fun, now you can! Join us for a kickoff session and wine tasting party Wednesday, May 8 from 6:00-7:30pm at A Bottle or Two (11920 Montgomery Rd, Symmes Township). Meet other ND women, enjoy some wine and snacks, and help plan what you'd like NDWC to be in Cincinnati. RSVP by MAY 1 to Jamie Eifert (firstname.lastname@example.org, 513-703-5107), Mary Beth Lucian (email@example.com), or Courtney Weber (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To help celebrate the Hesburgh Month of Service, admission charge to the event will be the donation of a gently used or new book (or books!) that will be donated to Better World Books, a social enterprise company founded by Domers which sells used books online to help raise funds for non-profit literacy organizations (www.betterworldbooks.com). Any type of book is welcome.
May 11, 2013
Kids Against Hunger
Don’t you agree that this picture is worth a thousand meals? On May 11, 2013 as part of the Notre Dame Alumni Association’s national Hesburgh Month of Service, members and friends of the Notre Dame Club of Greater Cincinnati will gather in Sharonville to package 50,000 meals that Kids Against Hunger - Cincinnati will then distribute to starving children in Haiti. To do this, we need to recruit 75 volunteers to work from 9:00 A to 12:00 PM in Sharonville on May 11.
We need 75 volunteers to help scoop, measure and package the food. Kids of all ages and teens are welcome -- this will be a fantastic family-friendly community service project!
Be a part of the Notre Dame Club Can-do Crew on May 11 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Kids Against Hunger “Factory” in the old McSwain Carpet store at 2430 Kemper Rd. in Sharonville (513-771-2244). To sign up to help contact Nick Schrantz at 513-791-6496 or email@example.com.
May 18, 2013
Please join your fellow alums for our next ND Cincy Day at a local Habitat build site on May 18.
We'll be framing a house at 6114 Prentice St. in Madisonville (between Mathis and Glenshade) from 8am - 3pm and lunch is provided! Please call/register to reserve your spot, or just stop by and see how we build community. Contact Mark Bruggeman(513.315.1788 / mbruggeman@tipmLLC.com
August 10, 2013
Golf Outing - Save the Date!
Save the Date! The 10th annual Cincy ND Club / O'Bryons Golf Outing Scramble will take place on Saturday, August 10th, at California Golf Course. Mark your calendars and be on the lookout for further announcements and details in the coming weeks....we're always on the lookout for golfers, sponsors, and volunteers. Please contact Mike McNamara (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Marc Wolnitzek (email@example.com) with any questions.
Career Center Partnership
The ND Club of Cincinnati has partnered with the ND Career Center on campus as part of a new program where students will have the ability to submit resumes which will then be forwarded to the club for distribution to alumni seeking to hire summer interns.
Student resume files will be available beginning on April 15th - if you anticipate a need for temporary summer help, please keep our Notre Dame students in mind and advise Mary Beth Lucian (firstname.lastname@example.org) of your interest. She will forward a package of resumes to any alumni who has expressed interest in receiving the resume file, please review and contact students directly to discuss any opportunities.
If you are considering creating an internship at your place of work, check out the Notre Dame Career Center’s Guide to Developing an Internship. We thank you in advance for helping us support Notre Dame Students.
Hesburgh Month of Service
“Service to our community is a hallmark of a Notre Dame education.”
In honor of Fr. Hesburgh’s lifelong dedication to serving others, Notre Dame alumni, family and friends are again (for the sixth consecutive year) joining together for the Hesburgh Month of Service. Last year, over 140 alumni clubs from around the world participated in this wonderful program in their home cities, and we’re asking each of you to take some time in May to be part of the effort here in Cincinnati.
This year, we have five service programs in which you can participate:
1. May 20-June 30. Book Drive for LeBlond Boys & Girls Club. In support of our Summer Service Program (the Club hosts and pays for two students to spend their summers working for eight weeks at LeBlond), we will be collecting new and used books for children in grades K-12. They began an internal book club in 2012 and are desperately seeking volumes of all kinds.
Contact Paul Dillenburger (email@example.com) if you’d like to help organize the effort or have books to donate. (Get creative: we ALL have books our children have gone through over the years!)
2. May 20-June 30. Baby Care Drive for Pregnancy Center East. For 2013, we also are sponsoring one additional Summer Service Learning Program student who will serve full-time at the Center as a Trained Client Advocate, while also teaching a “Theology of the Body” class to teens.
To further support the effort at PCE, we are asking for donations of disposable diapers, wipes, formula, gently-used baby and toddler clothes, and baby equipment like cribs, swings, pack-n-plays, car seats, etc.
Contact Laura Streitmann (firstname.lastname@example.org or at 382-5777) for further details or to donate.
3. May 18. Habitat for Humanity “Build”. In what has become a “staple” (pun intended) of the Club’s service efforts, we will be working on another home, at 6114 Prentice in Madisonville. All are welcome (ages 14 and up…families are encouraged), rain or shine from 9am to 3pm. Absolutely NO skills or tools required, plus free pizza is served for lunch. Current and incoming students are especially invited to participate.
Contact Mark Bruggeman (mbruggeman@tipmLLC.com or 315-1788) immediately to reserve your spot!
4. June 9. (May event is cancelled due to Mother’s Day and KAH.) Tender Mercies meals. Our longest-running service event, we prepare and serve evening meals (generally around 4:30pm on the second Sunday of each month) to the 40-50 residents of Tender Mercies in Over-the Rhine. Alumni provide a dish to serve 10 people—perhaps as part of a themed meal or often just potluck style, and are also welcome to help serve the dinner on site. Very rewarding and easy work, and you meet the nicest people (both the residents and our alumni) every time!
Contact Nick Schrantz (email@example.com or 728-1023) for details and to volunteer.
July 2, 2012
2012-13 ND Cincy Membership Drive
It’s hard to believe that it’s already time for the Notre Dame Club of Greater Cincinnati’s Annual Membership Drive. Please support this year’s drive by renewing, or beginning, your Club membership. Your annual membership fee is crucial for many reasons. Membership:
- Supports our scholarship fund, which provides approximately $100,000 per year to our outstanding local undergraduate students;
- Funds our Club activities, including UND Night, Communion Breakfast, and our community service projects;
- Provides many opportunities to obtain tickets to the ND/Stanford game on October 13;
- Keeps you connected to the University and Alums/Friends in the area.
Becoming a member of the Notre Dame Club of Greater Cincinnati for 2012-13 is easy! Just complete the membership form OR click here complete your membership online. If you join the Club before September 3, you will be automatically eligible for the Members-Only Lottery which provides the winners an opportunity to purchase a pair of football tickets to the Stanford game on October 13.
Again this year, we will be refreshing the Club database and compiling a Directory of all 2012-2013 Notre Dame Club of Greater Cincinnati members who joined by December 31. Please be sure to include accurate and current contact information when you submit your membership form. If you would prefer to be a member but NOT be in the Directory, you may indicate accordingly in the space provided on the membership form.